August 21, 2017

Border Services respond to raid allegations

 The Canadian Border Services Agency says what is being reported as a series of raids of Metro Vancouver construction sites Wednesday — detaining illegal migrant workers — is not correct.
 
In a written statement the CBSA says agents only went to one worksite looking for a man with a long criminal history who had previously been deported and while doing so found a number of other foreign nationals working illegally.
 
As far as the reality tv crew that filmed the events — the statement says the agency is taking part in a documentary series based around the CBSA which they see as a way to show the agency’s committment to Canada’s border security.

Thursday morning NDP  M-P Libby Davies said the organization has a lot to account for.

The CBSA took six hours to respond to CKNW’s requests for information about what happened Wednesday.
 
Thursday afternoon families of some of the people detained yesterday held a rally — calling the actions of the CBSA unfair although some admitted to not having the documentation to work legally.
 

CKNW Vancouver News

Posts Related to this Article:

About The Reporter

The Reporter knows what's happening in and around Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. He reports the latest news (sometimes a bit biased) and other updates. Look to The Reporter for information about Vancouver news.